Sunday, July 01, 2007

The Apple of my eye

Anybody who knows me will know how proud I am about my niece :). The first next-gen'er in my family. Its amazing to watch her grow.. feels like it was just yesterday I saw her as a 5 month old baby. There's a lot one can learn from watching a kid grow. Her EQ is pretty darn good. She's one who's out of bed by 6am, very composed and will give an alternate perspective why people behave the way they behave. My sister was once very snappy and I told my niece that I think her mom doesn't like me. You wouldn't believe what she said .. " Oh she's like that at times. She will come around.. now lets go and play :)".

There was this one other incident when I asked her what she wanted for her 6th birthday. Her response was "I have plenty of toys and books. Karthi doesnt have that many though. It would be great if you could get him something for my birthday ". When I insisted, she said "ok.. a birthday card for me".

One day, she came home with Young Author award. Nobody knew that there was one such contest and she had competed in that. So, my surprised sister asked her what she thought made her win the competition. My niece was like.. "use of lot of adjectives did the trick I guess ... he he :)".

She's definitely not the "adhiga prasangi" type though very knowledgeable .. knows how to carry herself in all social situations, very loving and gives due respect to elders. She will be in second grade after this summer. Hope the trend continues if not at this rate atleast in the positive direction ... there is still a long way to go :).

2 comments:

Harini Sridharan said...

:-)) I liked the "use of lot of adjectives" part. I discovered that trick myself when I was in school, but at a much later age. Very smart! I guess I should attribute it to some very good parenting as well.

Harini Sridharan said...

And aunt-ing too ;-)